Monday 4 June 2012

Birdwatching

We live in a well established part of suburbia, with nice mature trees all around. This means that we have a fair amount of birds that visit us. Nothing too exotic, just a collection of cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, robins, chickadees, doves and starlings. 

We have a bird feeder and bird bath in our back yard, and provided the dogs don't see the birds they can eat fairly undisturbed. Today the boy & I were outside playing when two doves landed in the garden. The boy was about to go down his slide, so he just sat at the top, absolutely transfixed by watching the doves eat. He kept up a running commentary the whole time they were there. Apparently the birds in my neighbourhood are used to the sound of his voice, because it didn't phase them at all.

What amazed me most was how still he kept. After I reminded him that it would frighten them if he moved, I saw barely a fidget from him. This happened about 4 or 5 times this afternoon as different birds came down to eat at the feeder, and each time he sat so still so as not to disturb them.

Apparently I need to take birds with me whenever I go places that I want him to sit still.

At least this means he can sit still when he wants to.

No comments:

Post a Comment