Tuesday 1 March 2011

Clothes make the man.

I love to shop, but I'm not a huge fan of shopping for myself. There are certain things that I would buy if (I mean when) we won the lottery books, boots, shoes, handbags, more books, but that's about it. But I love shopping for others. This means that the boy has lots of clothes.

When I first had the boy, I thought I wouldn't be able to find cool, fun, and funky clothes for little boys, there always seems to be such a surplus out there for girls. Happily I was proved wrong. It takes a little bit of hunting, but there are some great things out there for little guys. It also helps that the boy loves to wear everything and anything; shirt and tie? Check; cords and a sweater? Check; fedora? Check. I love his willingness, and dread the day he wants to live in grungy, dirty, slobby, clothes.

My biggest problem shopping for the boy is his size. He's fairly tall and skinny which means that pants are one of the hardest things in the world to buy at the moment. If I'm lucky I can find pants with drawstrings, or the little elastic things inside the waist (all you other mums know what I mean). If not, it means the boy is SOL.

Kids clothes also have the same problem that I find in womens clothing, sizes in one store don't fit the same way as in another store. A perfect example is his PJ's. We were getting him dressed for bed tonight, pulled a pair of PJ's out of the drawer, and they fit perfectly at his waist, but came down to just above his ankles! Then I checked the size, and no wonder, they are a size 12-18 months, and the boy will be 3 in a few months!

All that this means is that I have to be super picky when shopping, and either shop with the boy (not always a fun pastime), or make sure I can return things if they don't fit. And then that means I can shop some more. I'm going to enjoy it while I can, before I'm not allowed to either pick clothes out for the boy, or he only wants to live in the same gross outfit weeks on end. Hopefully that's not for a while though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment