Thursday 5 July 2012

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

The boy started playing in a soccer league this year, and is really enjoying it. It took him a few weeks to figure it all out, but now he's actually gotten pretty good.

Today after scoring a goal and then having the other team score he had a bit of a melt down. Once he'd settled down he told us he was upset because he wasn't able to stop the other team from scoring and he didn't think he'd be able to score again.

We had a quick chat about being a good winner & loser and the power of thinking that you can do something. We reminded him of the little engine and that seemed to help. He went back out and scored two more goals in the game, and was much happier when the other team scored.

Being a gracious winner and loser is something I think is a really important skill to learn and I'm glad he's enjoying playing soccer as I think team sports help to teach this lesson. Now we just have to see if this carries over to next week's game (and the rest of his life!)

Training ground for life?

No comments:

Post a Comment