Wednesday 7 March 2012

International Women's Day

I am the mother of a boy. He will probably not ever have to worry about being discriminated against to get a job, he will always be paid what he is worth, be able to go to school wherever he wants, and study whatever he wants. He'll always have a say in the democratic process. He will never get told he can't do something because he's a boy, and that's fantastic.

But.

I have two nieces, and even in our first world country, they may face discrimination simply because they are women. And there are millions of women in around the world who face much worse every day, based on nothing more than their gender.

So on this International Women's Day I will be making sure my boy knows he's no better than anyone else just because he's a boy. I'll make sure he knows about some amazing women from history. I'll make sure he knows about the wider issues that affect women globally. I'll do my best to make him a caring, productive member of society as he grows up. That's my goal for today and every day. Happy International Women's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment