Thursday 7 March 2013

It's a girl colour

The boy and I were having fun after school drawing yesterday. He was using his purple marker when he looked up at me and said 'purple is really a girl colour isn't it?'

I asked him, rather incredulously, where he had heard that. He was a little vague and couldn't really tell me. But I know that it came home from school (sometimes I really dislike the fact he's in JK now).

I said that there was no such thing as a girl (or boy) colour and the next time he heard someone say that he should look them straight in the eye and say 'that's ridiculous, there's no such thing.' We practiced a few times and he thought it was hilarious but is fully prepared to tell his friends off the next time it comes up.

We also talked about how boys and girls can like the same things, and it doesn't matter what they play with. We talked about how it doesn't matter if someone is a boy or a girl, because we're all just people and we have our own likes and dislikes.

With it being International Women's Day, I think it's even more important that my boy knows about equality, fairness, and social justice. While teaching the boy that labelling colours as boys or girls is wrong may seem a minor point, it's a starting point, and if at 4 years old he can stand up and say everything should be equal, then I'm off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment