Tuesday 10 April 2012

Stages in life...

My sister-in-law had a little boy not that long ago. He's absolutely adorable, and has that great new baby smell. While I was holding him the other day it made me have those "aww, I miss when..." feelings.

We've been having some weeks around here that are great, some not so great, and others that make me wonder if I'm going to make it through the week at all. So when I get to hold a newborn that has yet to speak, doesn't have a stubborn streak, and isn't independent to nth degree it makes me miss that stage. Then I remember the cluster feeds, the sleepless nights, and the complete helplessness, and maybe I don't really miss that.

One of my favourite authors, Neil Gaiman, posted some advice for new parents, and the best line he wrote “And as they get older, the nature of the shit will change.” And it's so true. So while I'm frustrated some days with the boy, I have to remember, that no matter what age or stage he is there will always be shit of one kind or another no matter how young or old he is. So I will enjoy each and every part. Or at least try and block out the really really bad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment